Here’s a CMYK to Hex converter tool, your go-to resource for translating CMYK color values into their corresponding Hexadecimal codes.
Enter CMYK Values
How to Convert CMYK to Hex
To convert a CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Key/Black) color to its corresponding Hex color code, you’ll need to convert the CMYK values to its RGB, and then you can convert the RGB values to Hex. Here’s how you can do it:
Convert CMYK to RGB
Normalize the CMYK values to be in the range of 0 to 1, where 0 represents 0% and 1 represents 100%. If you have integer values (80,20,0,0), and not decimals (0.8,0.2,0,0) for CMYK, the easiest way is to divide by 100.
Calculate the RGB values using the following formulas:
Red (R) = 255 * (1 - Cyan) * (1 - Key)
Green (G) = 255 * (1 - Magenta) * (1 - Key)
Blue (B) = 255 * (1 - Yellow) * (1 - Key)
Convert RGB to Hex
To convert an RGB value to its hex code, you have to calculate the two-digit hexadecimal number for each channel.
- First, divide the decimal value (R) by 16.
- You will get a quotient and a remainder. The quotient represents the first character of your two-digit number.
- Divide the remainder by 16. This way, you get the second character of your two-digit representation.
- Now, you have to combine the quotient and the remainder, resulting in a string of 2 characters (2 numbers, 2 letters, or 1 letter and a number). This is your two-digit hexadecimal representation of each channel.
- Combine the two-digit hex codes of the R, G, and B channels to get the hex code.
Values from 0 to 9 will be kept as they are. Values between 10 and 15 correspond to letters A to F. For example, 10 = A, 11 = B, 12 = C, 13 = D, 14 = E, 15 = F.
Let’s say you have the RGB values of 80, 6, 143 (Red: 80, Green: 6, Blue: 143)
Red (R) = 80/16 = 5 + 0/16 = 50
- Divide 80 by 16: Quotient = 5, Remainder = 0.
- So, the hexadecimal representation of Red (R) is 50.
Green (G) = 6/16 = 0 + 6/16 = 06
- Divide 6 by 16: Quotient = 0, Remainder = 6.
- Combine these numbers and you get the 2nd two-digit representation: 06.
Blue (B) = 143/16 = 8 + 15/16 = 8F
- Divide 143 by 16: Quotient = 8, Remainder = 15.
- The remainder 15 in hexadecimal is represented as “F.” So, the last two-digit representation is 8F.
Now, combine all 6 characters and you get hexadecimal code #50068F
When is CMYK to Hex Conversion Required?
Wondering what this conversion helps? If you need to match colors from print materials (CMYK) to digital, the CMYK to Hex conversion ensures that your colors are accurately represented on screens.
What is CMYK?
CMYK stands for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Key (Black). It is a subtractive color model primarily used in the printing industry.
What is Hex?
Hex is short for Hexadecimal and is a six-digit code that represents colors in the RGB model. It’s widely used for web design and digital media. Moreover, this model is used to represent colors on any screen, including TVs, laptops, smartphones, and so on.
Digital vs. Print
When creating designs for both digital and print platforms, you’ll often find yourself toggling between CMYK and Hex. Web graphics require Hex codes, while print materials need CMYK. Consistency across both mediums is vital.
Benefits of Converting CMYK to Hex
Converting CMYK to Hex offers several advantages:
1. Digital Consistency
Your digital designs will match your brand’s colors precisely, ensuring a consistent online presence.
2. Efficient Workflow
Streamlining the conversion process can save time and reduce errors in your design projects.
3. Better User Experience
A consistent color palette on your website enhances the user experience and reinforces brand recognition.
Other Color Conversion Tools
Here are other color conversion tools: